Loretta Busch – Biography
My story, like everyone’s, begins with my mother. She was a maker. She was seamstress who at fourteen apprenticed as a tailor in Italy. For most of my life she was a single divorced woman who worked very long days and occasionally painted landscapes, still life and religious icons on weekends. There were always an assorted sewing and painting projects underway. After school my brother and I would go to mamma’s dressmaking shop, ‘La Moda’ and do our homework in the back room. My brother and I often fell a sleep surrounded by piles of soft fabric. On the memorable summer Sundays we played on the beach building castles and eating watermelon, while mummy, with her beehive black hair brushed oils on canvas.
They called me a ‘Tom Boy,’ because dresses and dolls were rarely in my possession. I liked to chase frogs and play in the dirt making mud pies. In those days, “be home by sunset,” was the norm. There was always an adventure to be had in forested lots that surrounded our neighbourhood. I built forts with my neighbourhood friends and we took day-long expeditions to explore the gravel pit lot nearby. I was always on quest or dreaming about one.
In my teens art and history teachers were my favourite people, and drawing on notebooks a pastime. I took-up photography and that progressed to an Associate Diploma in Communicational Arts in 1980. That was old school analogue process of graphic design, illustration, and film with actual reels. Fast forward… I met my husband a part-time photographer, we married and launched two sons. In that busy time I also studied fine arts at the local college. I explored painting, pottery and printmaking until the obsession emerged for the block printing. I developed a unique block printing process of printing that allowed for multiple layers of water-soluble ink creating a rich texture surface.
Enter the late 1990’s and I started geeking-out on computers and software to help my husband market his boat building business. That led me to web design, and photography again. I began playing with photo-compositing (collage) in Photoshop. Sometime after that I combined my love of photo-compositing with photo-polymer printing. Photo-polymer etching was an eco-friendly method of creating plates using light and water. Plates were then inked and hand printed on a small press in my home studio. During that time I taught a few workshops and I went on to entered a number of regional juried shows and received some awards for printmaking and painting.
It is now 2020 and this is the abridged, streamlined version. There have been ‘A LOT’ of twists, turns and distractions since the start of this creative path. Life has provided many circumstances to bend and mend, experiences that fuel the creative vision.
For information about the current body of work see the Artist Statement.
- “Circle Craft Christmas Show,” Vancouver Trade & Convention Centre, November 2013
- “Filberg Festival” Booth 103 - Comox BC, August 2-5th, 2013
- “Sooke Fine Arts Show,” Sooke BC, August, 2013
- “Printmaking is the Medium,” Solo Exhibition at Art Alchemy Gallery, Courtenay, July 5th - 20th, 2013
- “Make it - Vancouver, April 19-21, 2013
- “Popped Art,” Comox Valley Community Arts Council, Dec, 12th to 23rd , 2012
- “Elevate the Arts – Winter Bazaar,” Courtenay BC, December, 2012
- “Kris Kringle Artisan Market,” Parksville BC, November, 2012
- “The Art Event,” North Island College Fine Arts Group Show, Courtenay BC, November,2012
- “Sooke Fine Arts Show,” Sooke BC, August, 2012
- “Nautical Days, Comox Harbour.” Comox BC, August 2012
- “Art & Bloom Festival,” Courtenay BC, May & Sept. 2012
- “Campbell River & District Public Art Gallery,” January 2012, Group Show
- “Comox Valley Public Art Gallery,” January 2012, Group Show
- "Shakespeare Festival," Victoria BC (juried art & craft market) Victoria July 1999
- "BC Festival of the Arts 99 - Celebrating Emerging Artists" Victoria BC (three prints selected) May 23-30 1999
- "Annual Juried Art Show - Campbell River & District Art Gallery," Campbell River BC Jan 1999
- "Burnaby Art Gallery Association, Art Rental and Sale Program," Burnaby 1999
- "Filberg Festival," Comox BC (juried art and craft) Art 1998
- "Creative Journeys," Muir Gallery Courtenay BC (co-exhibit with Natasha Henderson) Feb 1998
- "Abstract Paintings Mixed Media," Solo Show, Bar None Cafe, Courtenay BC Jan 1998
- "Christmas Art & Craft Market - Comox Valley Public Gallery,' (Juried) Courtenay BC Dec 1997
- "Art for the Season," Community Arts Council, Courtenay BC Fall 1997
- "The Written Word," Community Arts Council, Courtenay BC Fall 1997
- "Members 8x10 Show," Community Arts Council, Courtenay BC Fall 1997
- "Open Call Exhibition," Campbell River & District Public Art Gallery Campbell River BC Sept 1997
- "Annual Juried Show -Community Arts Council," Courtenay BC Fall Summer, 1997
- "Student Shows," North Island College Courtenay BC 1996-97
scroll through some favourites of the past.
- 1995 - 2020 Graphic Designer, Marketing Manager Wolf Mfg Inc.,
- 2014 - July, Metchosin International School of the Arts, 5 day session on Photo-polyer etching Metchosin BC
- 2013 -Aug, Eco-Friendly Printmaking with Photo-Polymer, 2-Day sessions Workshop Facilitator Campbell River Art Gallery
- 2013-July, Eco-Friendly Printmaking with Photo-Polymer, 2-Day sessions Workshop Facilitator at Art Alchemy Studio & Gallery, Courtenay BC
- 1998 Block Printing Workshop (presenter) - Campbell River & District Gallery
- 1990-1999 Volunteer Art Instructor - District Elementary Classrooms, teaching papier-mâché, drawing, & block printing.
- 1981-1986 Part-time freelance graphic designer
- 2018-2019 North Island College, Courtenay BC Fine Arts Program, Ceramics,
- 2012-2013 North Island College, Fine Arts Program, Intaglio Printmaking, Serigraph Printmaking
- 1996-1997 North Island College, Fine Arts Program - Full-time studies
- 1981-1982 BCIT Marketing Management Program – Full-time studies
- 1981 Douglas College Surrey BC, Associate Diploma in Graphic and Communicational Arts
- 2013 “Back Street, Crow Business,” Honourable Mention, The Sooke Fine Arts Show
- 2013 “The Calm Before the Storm,” Award of Merit, Campbell River & District Public Art Gallery Group Show
- 2012 “The Gossip, With Forked Tongue & Twisted Tales, Award of Merit, Campbell River & District Public Art Gallery Group Show
- 1999 "Murano, Storm Breaking," Honourable Mention - Campbell River & District Public Art Gallery
- 1997 "Welcome" Award of Excellence - Campbell River & District Public Art Gallery
- 1997 "Forest Creek" Award of Excellence - Comox Valley Community Arts Council
- 1978 Oceola Arts Council Scholarship